This Is Why We Lie by Gabriella Lepore
copy for review; all opinions are my own
purchase link is an affiliate link
Official Summary: When Jenna Dallas and Adam Cole find Colleen O’Dell’s body floating off the shore of their coastal town, the community of Gardiners Bay is shaken. But even more shocking is the fact that her drowning was no accident.
Once Jenna’s best friend becomes a key suspect, Jenna starts to look for answers on her own. As she uncovers scandals inside Preston Prep School leading back to Rookwood reform school, she knows she needs Adam on her side.
As a student at Rookwood, Adam is used to getting judgmental looks, but now his friends are being investigated by the police. Adam will do whatever he can to keep them safe, even if that means trusting Jenna.
As lies unravel, the truth starts to blur. Only one thing is certain: somebody must take the fall.
Review: I really loved this book, and I definitely recommend for YA mystery/thriller fans. Here are just some of the things that I adored about this book –
- It’s a quick read, so it keeps you flipping the pages, desperate to piece the puzzle together.
- It starts off with a bang and keeps going and going until the final page! No dull middles here.
- I liked that we got both Jenna and Adam’s point of views. You get more of a well-rounded look at the investigation this way.
- The title is so apt: This Is Why We Lie. Everyone is lying about something. It’s just not always murder.
- I love that almost every character is a bit “gray”. Not to say most of them can be classified as a villain, but they all have something. Nobody is a saint here, but that doesn’t mean they deserve to die.
I flew through this book and I’m so glad I was given a chance to read and review it for you all! Hopefully you’ll take my advice and grab a copy; it comes out tomorrow!