I’m 26 years old, which means I was born in 1990. It always amuses me when people find it surprising that I know about certain things, or that I even had them when I was younger. I’m always thinking “I’m not that young” but what can you do?
Here is a list of things that I’m Not Too Young to Remember:
1. Cassette Tapes – my sister is three years older than me and she had a cassette player and tapes when I was younger.
2. C.D.’s – this might seem like a weird thing to add on here, but I swear some people look at some younger people and think they have no idea what life was like with c.d.’s since they are always downloading music. First off, not everyone just uses iTunes and the like. Second, c.d.’s are still easily available and come out all the time. Honestly, I’d rather have a physical C.D. most of the time.
3. Card Catalogs – All through elementary school, my library had a card catalog. This is how we looked up the books we wanted and when you checked out a book, we used the little card in the back of the book that needed to be stamped. I find it funny when people are shocked I know what card catalogs are, and I just kindly say “I had them growing up too.”
4. Certain TV Shows – I had someone not terribly long ago that talked as if I didn’t know shows like I Love Lucy. I know they came out years before I was born, but there have been reruns of these shows for years. I grew up watching these shows on TV. I loved them – The Brady Bunch, Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley, I Love Lucy. My sister and I used to watch these all the time before going to bed at night.
5. VHS Tapes- I only had VHS tapes for awhile, until DVD’s came around and got more popular. Regardless, I have a lot of movies that are still in VHS form and one of my DVD players now is a DVD/VHS player and I’ll still watch movies via VHS.
Now it’s your turn- what are things that people find surprising that you remember?