Last year I reached out to some friends via Facebook and asked them a fun bookish question. I have the answers to share with you today. Please feel free to answer for yourself in the comments, and if I get enough, I’ll make a new post! I’ll include my own answer at the end.
What is the weirdest/most random reason you read a book?
- To impress a guy
- The title was just too weird not to pick up, but I still haven’t actually read it
- I liked the picture on the cover
- My ethics professor recommended it – Krysten from Why Girls Are Weird
- Out of spite
- A guy I liked in high school was reading it
- I got bored at a sleepover in grade school waiting for a friend to wake up so I picked a book off her shelf and read most of it before she got up ?
- I had a computer software outage at work for four hours. My office building had a mini-branch of the DC public library (like 87% just returning books and picking up requests from other branches), so I just browsed the slim pickings and went back upstairs and read until the system came back up. It was a truly terrible book (and was apparently the third in a series lol)
- So I don’t have to talk to people, lol
- Because I paid $9 for it. Even though I absolutely hated it a third of the way through, I finished it out of principle. Or cheapness. ?
- I think mine would be because I found it at a bus stop. It was called Vox by Nicholson Baker and it was 100% not OK for a 16 year old girl to read it. ? I still have it on my shelf because it felt like contraband and I didn’t know what to do with it. – Sara from Stranded in Chaos
- Found it on the slide at a park lol
- Because the book’s show was coming out soon
- While living in Oklahoma we lost power for 2 weeks during an ice storm so we stayed with my aunt. My cousin and I would share the one lamp and read The Lost Symbol together
- Pass the time away
- Top two: first, I had a teacher tell me it was too hard to read (in grade school). Also in grade school got mad that I didn’t know the definitions of some words so I read the dictionary.
- I like to escape the real world!❤️
- To prove I could do it?
- To escape the real world!
- Heard about a set of books in a movie and wanted to know if they really existed. They did and were great to read.
I know most people didn’t actually say what book they read, so if you want to share your story in the comments, feel free to give us the title. You don’t have to though!
My Story: At the end of my freshman year of high school, my sister was a junior. She was already enrolled in a new school for her senior year and they had a summer reading list (my high school did not). I looked at her list to see what incoming sophomores were supposed to read and chose one of the books and read it (just for fun obviously). The book was Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton. It’s been years now but I remember enjoying it!